Resources for Daily Life - Life at Colby - Colby College, Waterville, ME

Tools for Living at Colby

Residential Life Office contact information



All residents are assigned one or two keys that are provided to them when they check into their residential assignment. At the end of the academic year, any keys that you received must be returned to Campus Life to avoid any lock change charges over the summer.

Your assigned keys are important because they provide a layer of security for both you and your belongings while residing in the residence halls. Please make sure to keep your key(s) safe and with you at all times. Equally important to ensuring the safety of yourself and your belongings is to lock your room whenever you leave.

Locked out of your room? If you have locked yourself out of your room, there is also a spare key request form available in Campus Life to sign out a spare key inorder to unlock your door temporarily.

Lose your keys? If you end up misplacing your keys, please make sure to come to Campus Life to start the lock change process.

Campus Life is located on the 2nd floor of Cotter Union and open 8am – 5pm Monday Through Friday.

A lock change request should be submitted as soon as you know that you have lost your key as to prevent anyone from finding the key having access to your room. Campus Life staff will provide a temporary spare key to use to access your space until the lock change is complete. Once you submit your lock change request, staff in Campus Life will notify the locksmith to complete the work and submit a $100 lock change charge to your student account. Once the lock has been changed, you will be issued a new key for the space and you will be notified by Campus Life via email that a new key is available to retrieve from the Campus Life office.

Students are encouraged to submit their own work for issues they may be having in their residence hall room. A few examples of what you might submit a work order for are: your room is too cold/hot, there is a potential leak, your room door sticks, is there a draft around the windows, a leg on your desk chair is loose and wobbly, etc. 

The College’s work order system is directly connected to Facilities Services and is the quickest way to notify anyone of the concern. The following steps will have your concern addressed quickly and efficiently.

  1. Go to Want to get to this site faster? Save this to your favorites on your computer/phone/tablet web browser.
  2. On the left hand side (blue bar), you will find the “Submit a Request” link. You will then be taken to the form to submit your request.
  3. When using the form, please make sure to have your pop-up blocker disabled for this site to allow the form to help populate the desired information
    • Fill out the form using the drop-downs as well as the fields to enter text.
    • When completing the “Request” box, please be as specific as possible to share the concern and exact location. This way the correct member of Facilities can be assigned and dispatched to assist with your concern.

For urgent requests and need for immediate attention during the weekends and after hours, students can contact Security by calling 207-859-5530. From there, a member of Facilities will contact the Facilities On-Call Staff.

In order to live on campus during the summer, you must be in the paid employment of a Colby department: either hired through the provost’s summer research assistant system (including academic-related internships) or Human Resources administrative summer employment system. If you have accepted a local internship and require campus housing, you must apply and receive approval for credit or transcript notation through the career center. You cannot apply for housing or live on campus without a job, research position, or approved internship.

Once hired/approved, students must fill out the necessary employment and summer housing paperwork which you will receive via email in your hire confirmation message. For summer interns who have been approved for credit or transcript notation through the career center: work with your career center advisor to submit an application for general summer employment. Following this application, you will receive the housing request form in your email. Housing paperwork is due for all students by the deadline posted here. Late applicants will not receive summer housing. Incomplete housing applications are not processed until missing information is provided.

Determining what to pack can often be difficult. We have compiled a list of items that are suggestions based on what past students have found necessary, or have realized they needed once they arrived in their room. Additionally, it is important to know what you are not allowed to have in your residence hall room, which is noted on this list and can also be found in the Student Handbook. To check out the suggested packing list items, click here.

Storage rooms for use during the academic year are available for students’ convenience. The College does not assume responsibility for loss, theft or damage to students’ personal property kept in storage rooms. These storage rooms are intended for storing trunks and packing materials, and are not intended for storing carpets, furniture and appliances. Students must label their property with their name, class year and date stored. Items that are not properly labeled may be discarded. Items left behind by a student at the end of the year will be discarded unless a student has received prior permission to store items over the summer months (such permission is only available to students living over 750 miles from campus). Information about storage facilities in the Waterville area is available from the Office of Campus Life.

Important Dates for Students

Know when to move in, move out, etc.
Task / Responsibility / ItemDate(s)
Class of 2026 arrivalAugust 30
First Year OrientationAugust 30 – September 6
Upperclass residents arrivalSeptember 5
First class – FallSeptember 7
Family Homecoming WeekendOctober 14 – October 16
Fall recessOctober 10 – October 11
Thanksgiving recessNovember 23 – November 27
Last classes of semester – FallDecember 9
Fall semester examsDecember 14 – December 19
Residence halls closeDecember 20
JanPlan halls openJanuary 2
Spring halls openJanuary 30
First class – SpringFebruary 1
Spring recessMarch 18 – March 26
Last classes of semester – SpringMay 5
Spring semester examsMay 10 – May 15
Halls close for non-seniorsMay 16
BaccalaureateMay 20
CommencementMay 21
Halls close for all campusMay 21

Transporation Options & Schedules

Contact the Office of Campus Life